Rest Now
The deep clarity that settles when you understand that you spent most of your life in survival mode, is harsh, and heartbreaking. It’s okay to rest now. Day after day, year after year, your mind and body have been working nonstop to feel safe. Fight or flight is an ancient mechanism meant to give us a burst of adrenaline in a life threatening situation, not to live life stuck with that throttle wide open. I asked myself recently, why am I so fucking tired all the time? I’m sure being post menopausal has something to do with it, but then I read an article about coming out of years of being in survival mode, about healing from past traumas and I cried. “You will need rest. You’re not lazy, your body is just trying to catch up on the calm it hasn’t received in years.” So, if you resonate with this, give yourself some grace. Rest. Nap. Eat slowly, it’s okay. Take long showers, because you can. Go non verbal for a day, or two, or ten. All of the things you couldn’t do when you felt trapped are waiting for you when you’re ready. No rush. One day, the past becomes a memory instead of a wound—you will feel free and you will have peace at last. With love. #survivormode #healingfromabuse #fightorflight #findingmyway #findingpeace
Comments
Post a Comment